Hatteras and Virginia Beach Fishing Boat Captain - Captain Mike Romeo
Meet Captain Mike Romeo, skipper of the Gannet, a 46-foot custom built Va Beach sport fishing boat that was custom crafted by well known boat builder Horace Graves of Hilton Head, SC.
Captain Mike has been fishing in Virginia Beach or fishing in North Carolina most of his life. To be more precise Captain Mike Romeo has amassed over 35 years of charter boat fishing experience as either a first mate or a Captain. In that time he has accumulated a mass amount of sport fishing knowledge that makes him one of the top Captains to fish the Atlantic Ocean.
At the age of 10, that's right, at 10 years old Mike worked on the water as a charter boat mate on boats ranging from 30 to 100 feet. In the next few years, he grew fond of this profession and decided to pursue his career. After
graduation from First Colonial High School, he started running sport fishing charters and began to build his successful sportfishing business. He received his Merchant Seaman Coast Guard License, with honors, at the age of 21.
From 1977 to 1991, Captain Mike Romeo ran two-charter boat businesses up and down the East Coast from Maryland to Florida. From 1977 to 1985 he served as the Captain aboard the first Gannet, a 47-foot Custom Carolina Boat fishing in Virginia Beach VA out of Rudee Inlet. In 1995, Captain Mike started running The 0-Four Charter out of the Virginia Beach Fishing Center in Rudee Inlet.
Captain Mike currently fishes many regions of the Mid Atlantic. Depending on the current fishing season Captain Mike will be fishing out of Virginia Beach's Rudee Inlet then Hatteras Inlet and then Oregon Inlet of the North Carolina Outerbanks.
Check rates page for dates and details.
- Fishing in Virginia Beach, Virginia Beach striper fishing out of Rudee Inlet
- Chesapeake Bay in Virginia Beach
- Fishing in the Outer Banks
- Oregon Inlet Sport Fishing
- Cape Hatteras Sport Fishing
Tournament Winner - Current Record Holder for 1093 lb Virginia Blue Marlin
Captain Mike has been a United State Coast Guard licensed captain since 1978. He has fished and hunted the oceans and sounds of the Outer Banks for over 35 years as a local resident, as well. North Carolina sport fishing is his business and his livelihood, not just his hobby.
Captain Mike Romeo has amassed numerous tournament wins. His wins are so numerous most Captains can only dream of achieving the level of success that Captain Mike has reached. He has achieved numerous titles; his most notable, the largest blue marlin ever caught in Virginia (see below). His Tournament Wins include:
- Four-time winner of the Blue Fin Tournament in Virginia Beach. - 1979 1980 1981 1982.
- Two-time 1st place winner of the Cape Henry Billfish Tournament for 1980 1983.
- Two-time winner of the Cape Henry Billfish Tournament and 1st place over all Billfish catch in 1984 and 1985.
- Two time winner of the Ocean City Maryland White Marlin Open for 1978 and1987.
- 1st place winner of the Big Rock Tournament for 1988.
- 1st place winner of the Virginia Beach Tuna Tournament in 1989 with a 274.7lb Big Eye Tuna which at the time also took the new state record for Virginia.
- 1st place winner of the Eastern Shore Marlin Tournament.
- 3rd place winner of the Eastern Shore Marlin Tournament.
- 1st place winner of the 2006 Virginia Beach Invetational Marlin Tournament.
- Winner of the 1987 Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament with a 788lb Blue Marlin.
- Most noteworthy - 1978-winner of the Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament for his 1093 lb. Blue Marlin which is also the current state record for Virginia.
Tournament Updates - Latest Tourneys for Captain Mike Romeo
- 2006-1st place Virginia Beach Invitaional Marlin Tournament.
- 2006-3rd place Virginia Beach Tuna Tournament.
- 2007-1st place Winner of the Hatteras Marlin Tournament on the Backlash with a 613lb blue marlin.
- 2007-1st-place Winner of the Virginia Beach Invitaional Marlin Tournament.
- 2008-1st-place Winner of the Virginia Beach Tuna Tournament(largest) tuna award.
- 2008-2nd-place Winner of the Virginia Beach Invitaional Marlin Tournament. (Sniper)
- 2008-2nd-place Winner of the Ladies Tournament (Wine, Woman, and Fishing).
Shown at left: Capt. Romeo's BIG catch in 1978
A 1,093 lb. Blue Marlin caught off the coast of Virginia Beach...
(This article was featured in The Virginian Pilot in September of 1978)